What exactly is it?
Discernment is a way to create value in everything we do by looking at life from a perspective of “what we ought to be doing”. This is how we can be real to us. It aids us in thinking more rationally, and aim for the most optimal results. It certainly gives us the ability to make sense of possibility. You see, once upon the time, people did not have computers, as well as the Internet, other form of instrumentation… Therefore, people were able to acquire sharp visions and assess current situations using their discernment. It was part of their job of tackling problems, and it ought to be a part of the normal process in the process of judgment for the modern-day world. I observed that within their psychology , people were able to use boundaries imposed through morals, beliefs and other systems of belief.
The concept of discernment was originally thought of as a tool to study oneself. It enabled people to determine what is true in our world. Within the confines of common sense it is possible to make assumptions and draw an actionable conclusion about the possibilities being made available to us. It tests the degree and power of the things. For example, Christians believe that Discernment is a virtue and that it allows us to inject wisdom into our decisions and keeps us on a positive conscious and choosing the right path.
Have we lost it?
In the early modern times, men and women could pinpoint their exact location without the use of GPS. You could hike for days towards a location without compasses. They knew where to find wild animals and bush food in the process. Fishermen could tell if it was forecast to rain. People who were in nature were able to tell if it expected to be a burning hot day or that an approaching storm was on the way. They could comprehend and read the nuances spoken by others. They could detect, and they did it without the aid of electronic devices.
A class at the elementary school was once asked by the teacher, and they were asked questions in a innocent, but inaccurate manner, revealing what the pupils really were made up of. These children were no longer able discern. They were taking in the world around them according to a different interpretation and direction. ” Where does milk come from?” asked the teacher. ” Oh miss, everyone knows that milk comes from a carton at the supermarket!” was the initial response. “OK. Who knows where money comes from?” She then asked. “Miss, miss, me… me! My mother showed me that money comes from the hole in the wall just outside her bank. She calls it that – ‘the hole in the wall’.”
You could be forgiven to think this was a fabricated up, and a joke, but it wasn’t and it’s not. The question needs to be asked once more. Have we lost it?
Technology has revolutionized our lives and our separation from Mother earth, it has rendered us unable to do things our predecessors believed to be common knowledge and vital to living. In addition, there are a variety of mindless pursuits, like binge watching mindless television shows and gaming on the computer for hours, etc… which only serve to disconnect our brains from our bodies for certain amounts of time which we have chosen to remain in vegetative state. This is a major reason why we lose our sense of direction.
The next generation of children will rely on things like the internet and other sites to be able to make the right choice. It will be more difficult for them to ‘Discern’ the right way to go.
What do we do to return it?
Individual discernment isn’t an extremely difficult one but it is a process that has ways to be done in order to achieve an appropriate degree of discernment. Here are seven tricks you can use for reclaiming your inherent discerning abilities:
- Do what you want to do without fear of the result. Anything that happens, will happen. Making a good decision is more crucial than not making one at all. If you’re correct, then you’re on the right path. If not, you are able to amend it and get on the right track. Do not rush and take the time to make a decision! Give yourself a deadline to making a decision in case procrastination sets an example.
- Utilize both your head and your heart. It is important to listen to your feelings and at the same time , look to the practicality the proposed solution. Be aware. This will help you evaluate the possibilities available to you. Everyone has a unique way of looking at things, and that means that you’ll arrive at your personal decision based on what feels right to your, and feels right for you.
- Don’t let other people do the thinking of you. Reclaim your sovereignty and take up the fight.
- Be aware that when you are in a group, e.g., committee you’re also weighing every other individual’s choice. Always state how you feel about things.
- Pay attention to your emotions. Are the words being spoken making you feel sick or overwhelmed? This will be the guiding influence on what is being discussed.
- Ask for an opinion from someone you trust and respect.
- If you’re a person with a belief in Power of Prayer, then utilize Prayer as a means to verify your beliefs.
Begin by making it your own. No gadgets!